Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lost my mind? Or just trying to stay occupied?

Since I actually finished the dress, I decided to start some new projects. 4 in fact. Maybe 5? Since I STILL haven't found a job, I also decided to take a sewing class at a local community class. Part of the class is making a jacket, so decided to use a pattern I already had, and a fabric for the lining I already had, but I still needed the outer shell fabric. I'm making the Simplicity 3628 (Bought on sale for ONE DOLLAR! Yay for deals!).

And I went to the Textile Discount Outlet, OMG, room after room, floor after floor of fabric, trims, embellishments, buttons, thread, and bunches of other stuff I don't even know the name of. =) Went in because the class instructor recommended we go there to buy muslin, and I figured, I have nothing better to do, lol. So, drove my sister to school, and then went to Textile Discount Outlet in Pilsen. Turned out it was only 6 blocks west of the school I used to teach at (who knew!?). And it is a MECCA. I only made it through 3 rooms, and I was SUPER glad I knew (sorta) what I wanted. I went in to buy (1) muslin, (2) fabric for the jacket, and (3) a knit fabric to make a wrap cardigan. The knit fabric was only $1.50 a yard! And they had colors that JoAnn definitely does not. I found a great light wool blend for the jacket in a dusty purple for just $4.95 a yard. I also found some cute trim that I will use for the jacket instead of ribbon (maybe..I'm still going back and forth on this). The muslin surprised me, being $2.50 a yard (seems sort of pointless, since you just use the muslin to make a mock up of the piece, and then cut all over again to make the piece out of the real fabric, so it made my $4.95 fabric $7.45 (my mathematical, rational, logical, Gujarati, cheapskate side says, what, why? LOL). Anyways, I needed the muslin for class, so I got it now. Then I went to JoAnn fabrics (because they had a sale on patterns), and bought 11 patterns! I bought this super cute dress pattern, but I'm keeping it a secret, because (1) I want it to be a surprise for V-Day and (2) I may or may not have enough talent to make it, so best to keep it under wraps =)
By the way, the wrap cardigan pattern is Simplicity 2603.

In my 11 pattern madness, I bought a great pattern for a plaid ruffle shirt, since they are so in, and I figured it would be cute during the summer with a denim skirt. I bought the plaid fabric at JoAnn (mainly because they had it, but also since I was there, and I had a coupon for 50 % off). The pattern is McCall's 5929, and the plaid fabric is really close to the print in the picture - red background and yellow, green, and blue stripes.

I wanted to cut and sew it quickly tonight, but turns out I bought the wrong SIZE pattern - who knew?? Suckage. So main plan for tomorrow is to get a new pattern, since I got the wrong size for a couple different projects, including the jacket, which I need to cut out of muslin by tomorrow at 6 pm! So much for being on top of it.

AND (if you're counting, that was only 4 projects above), the 5th project is a strip quilt - a diamond colorful one, the pattern and picture is downstairs and I am lazy. I will post pics of it when I get closer to making it =)

No comments:

Post a Comment