Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Patterns

So, as I can't do the Kitchen quilt while a certain someone is home, and I am slowly (when the mood strikes) quilting the "Diced Chocolate" quilt, I thought maybe I could do a different project. I saw various dress patterns and thought, hey, maybe I could try it! Lol! It's just buying fabric, cutting it to the pattern and stitching them together right? Sorta...

I looked up various patterns, and ended up loving a pattern - Simplicity 2497.


Cute huh? So, first problem was, HOW MUCH FABRIC TO BUY? Turns out, patterns are a whole new world, with a whole new language. The nice lady at WalMart told me to look at the back, and read the pattern directions. Turns out, I needed 3 and 5/8 yards. I wanted to make it out of a purple satin, but it was 7 inches short! So, choose just plain black satin..for just $7.50! Took it home, started cutting, using my new tracing paper and wheel. Also an amazing thing, my sister just stared at me, like, "really? This is going to work?" Then I showed her where the lines came out, and she was amazed. We both were. So after cutting yesterday, I also sewed the bodice together. I made the rest today, except I couldn't find an invisible zipper the right size yesterday, otherwise I'd probably finish it. I made the skirt, added the midriff, put together all the pieces, made POCKETS! (OMG!! Love love love dresses with pockets!!). So far, it looks like a dress. Here's a really bad pic -



I still need to make the ruffle, add the zipper, and then finish the left side seam. And then, I'm going to buy REAL fabric - probably brocade.. either this:
or this: or this:

We'll see what I can find at the grand opening of the new JoAnn fabrics - I realize these aren't the coolest fabrics, but hey, when I can buy it for 50 % off and play with different things, I figure, hey why not!

Btw, I'm still amazed by the pockets. =)

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Neha. I'm so glad that you decided to go ahead and make this dress - looks like you've done a great job with it. I really like the choice of black satin - very glamorous. Looking forward to seeing your next project.

    ReplyDelete