Thursday, October 1, 2009

Straight up, now tell me now...

Straight matters.

So, I figured out what salvage means. It's the ends of the fabric where the threads all meet and don't fray. (I don't know how to explain it) So I measured, 3 times, and cut. Beautiful, straight happy sides to my backing.

Then I had to cut the ends of the quilt top, so I had a rectangle and not 3 straight sides and 1 side with different edges (imagine a staircase). Slowly. sLoWlY. SLOWLY. And 3 sides are beautiful. Straight and lovely. One side, slightly curvy, not so happy. But when I'm finished, I have to cut all the sides anyways, so I figured, it's ok for now. Then I sewed the 2 large backing pieces into one gigantic piece. I pressed everything before AND after sewing. It's beautiful. Then I cut the batting. I measured (twice) and cut it about in half. Then I pressed it too. I have never pressed so much in my life. Even my clothes aren't this wrinkle free.

Now I have everything laid out to spray the batting adhesive, but I sprayed a bit to check the spray and smell. Ppp-ueeew, it's smelllllllls. So I decided to do it tomorrow morning, when no one is in the house, and when I can open the windows without rain coming in. So I'm excited to finish it! Because starting tomorrow, I have a reunion tomorrow night, second part of the reunion Saturday night, an author visit on Sunday, and then off to Denver for a week on Monday. A quilting break for about 9 days. Then time to free quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment